Friday, June 17, 2011

Finding the City's Key

So when we (as a city) bestow an award upon someone, we do it in the shape of a key.

Its awesome because that is very symbolic, a key to a whole city must mean that individual has done such a service to its people that they would surely be welcome inside the homes of all people.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the same as any other Winnipeggers, but I wouldn't be comfortable if Gene Simmons had the keys to my front door. I would not be ok if someone did that without my knowing. It appears to me that many regular Winnipeggers were surprised to hear about this honour, and even now, I am unclear as to how this process works and to what extent the citizens of Winnipeg are involved in bestowing such an honour as a Key to the City. Now, if I am interpreting the Twitter-verse and social media circuit correctly, there are many people that feel the same.

As such, I Demand City Council to make it clear to Winnipeggers via all forms of media, what the process is for people to be selected as recipients of Keys to our beloved City, and provide an option for the people to re-construct that process at a future date should we find it unacceptable.

If you are with me: Share This, Like it, RT it, blog it, eat it, live it! We must hold city council accountable to us! (Let's us young people lead the way)

MC
Michael  Champagne
"Let us put our minds together to see what life we can make for our children" - Sitting Bull

No comments:

Post a Comment

North End MC

My photo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Representin the North End of Winnipeg since 1987. I will share my journey tryna set an example and live a proud Cree life. I'll include my challenges and feelings and progress in terms of AYO! Aboriginal Youth Opportunities. You(th) are the reason.

Tetris