Monday, July 25, 2011

Economics Over Human Life

“It is absolutely vital to the success of all of our communities and to Canada, that first nations children and youth get the education that’s going to enable them to be full participants in our economy,”
I am so disgusted with this sentiment.  I hear this shit all the time when governments are talking about why it is important to engage and work with Aboriginal people.  It is important for all of Canada that First Nations people participate in the Canadian economy. Yeah sure, thats nice that the ultimate goal is to get people to make money...but what about the people first?!!?  A lot of politicians and campaigns say tihngs like'people first' yet I don't see it in many peoples' actions.

It appears to me that the underlying motivation for people (at least from what I have seen in the media) to want to work with Aboriginal people is because ultimately it may effect their bottom line, financially.  Are you for real? We should all help Neechies because if not, our country won't make as much money.  This ideology is superficial and typical of Western news sources.  Phrasing and presenting information from a purely economic perspective, with a complete disregard for the fact that we aren't talking about 'objects' or 'tools' here, we are taking about human beings.

 FactZ

This is a known fact.  But that fact alone isn't enough to motivate the larger society to do something about it?!
This is a known fact.  But that fact alone isn't enough to motivate the larger society to do something about it?!

Please tell me if you see anything wrong with anything I have just said.  And now tell me that you think
2) whether or not the 'tough on crime' stance will work for our Neechie people, specifically our youth?! more info HERE and HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

North End MC

My photo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Representin the North End of Winnipeg since 1987. I will share my journey tryna set an example and live a proud Cree life. I'll include my challenges and feelings and progress in terms of AYO! Aboriginal Youth Opportunities. You(th) are the reason.

Tetris