Saturday, February 18, 2012

Voices from the Bell Tower - Edition 1

Dear world

I am speechless. The amazingness that our Bell Tower Movement has become is amazing. Last night @ The Indian Family Centre launched its own Community Lending Library, and I am so proud of all of the hard work Michele, Tanya and the whole team over there does in bringing good service to our community. For this Bell Tower Report, we had approximately 60 individuals out, and some exciting announcements and stories to share...see below

A Vision of 1000 people @ Our Bell Tower

I had a dream children cutting out flowers,gluing them on old clothing, then there was a great march, that lit the streets on a sunny day. The light of humanity, but it wasn't just here but all over the world. There was no laughter but cries of mourning for victims of violence who could not join our march. I had to wake for my dream was becoming a nightmare. A wise man quoted NO MATTER HOW BIG OR SMALL THE PROBLEM,THE TREATMENT OF HUMAN BEINGS SHOULD BE THE SAME, God bless.See you at the bell tower.

Violence Comes in Many Forms

On my way home from the Bell tower tonight, I stopped at a pedestrian walk for a young girl. She looked about fifteen or sixteen. She was so intoxicated that she could hardly stand up. She fell on the street then got up. She was looking for a car to get into. A truck driven by a guy slowed down ---I drove across the street to where she was and phoned the police, then phoned 911 because the main line was on hold- I consider this young lady’s situation as an emergency. Then I started to talk to her- She said her mom made her do this, which to me is a form of violence, then she told me she was raped, which is another form of violence.  I told her she deserved better than this and that she had proud ancestors.  I told her that her mom had no right to do this to her and that it could stop-there was help-then a man stopped- I rolled down my window and told him I would take down his license if he picked her up – he had no intention- he phoned the police too – The police came and both of us asked them to please help her. I told them about what she told me about her mom and being raped.Then I thought of our Missing and Murdered sisters and just hope that this young lady is on a different course. Then I thought about a young girl I mentored a few years ago and how her dad gave her pills and alcohol when she was a  minor and I thought – would my friend be in jail right now if someone had made a stronger stand on her behalf?
There are lots of people who care, from all walks of life-people are changing and I would like young people to know that.It’s not about politics, its about spirit and in the creator we are one-
Keep up the good work ! I have a long prayer list-
Love

 Facebook Love
What a wonderful time at the Bell Tower! I got free mittens as my little hands were shivering :) then won a prize for a ticket for a i-pad! And the best part had somosa's for the very first time! Yum yum spiciness!  A well spent Friday evening!
ARTISTS EVERYWHERE!

 The above image was made by 15 year old Matt. I met him for the first time this week @ Ralph Brown's Homework Club. Apparently is he is amazingly talented. Thank for ending your skills, and your hands to our movement.

 ---------------------------------------

From MC: Ekosi to the entire Bell Tower movement,  the Indian Family Centre and all of the community members that make this possible every week. Don't forget to come on out next week for 

Ross Eadie's Powers to The People Consultation 
We will be sharing ideas and brainstorming about how to revamp our Bell Tower!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

North End MC

My photo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Representin the North End of Winnipeg since 1987. I will share my journey tryna set an example and live a proud Cree life. I'll include my challenges and feelings and progress in terms of AYO! Aboriginal Youth Opportunities. You(th) are the reason.

Tetris