Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Under the Influence: SAXOPHONE (Chubby Checker, Lupe Fiasco, Jack White & Alexandra Stan)

Under the Influence: SAXOPHONE
The saxophone is an instrument invented by the Belgian instrument maker Adolphe Sax in 1846. It was originally very popular in the military, and eventually in jazz and classical music. In recent months, the saxophone has become more and more popular in pop music, rock music and even rap! Check out these examples of the awesome sax! (Check out Wikipedia on the Sax here)

Chubby Checker - The Twist (1960)
So for a long time I have enjoyed saxophone. It goes back to my younger days listening to the old fifties tapes my parents used to listen to. The most memorable of these early songs that I really loved was Let's Twist Again which came in 1961, one year after the original twist. Not only did it have awesome singing, background singers, but one of the awesomest saxophone solos. Songs like this made me fall in love with the saxophone.

Return of the Sax in 2011 and 2012!

The following songs have made use of the sax recently in 2012!

Lupe Fiasco - Around My Way (May 2012)
This song is awesome because it draws attention to the issue of Aboriginal land rights and other civil rights issues that are relevant to America. It also uses an awesome saxophone loop sampled from Pete Rock & CL Smooth's 1992 release "They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.) ...this will be its own UTI someday!

Jack White - Love Interruption (Jan 2012)
This is a great rock song released in January that is very simple in composition, but is awesome. It is like a trio between male voice, female voice and sax.

Katy Perry - Last Friday Night (June 2011)


I do not like the lyrics in this song, but another example of a pretty cool saxophone solo.

Lady Gaga - Edge of Glory (May 2011)
This song was my first indicator that the sax was coming back. I always loved sax solos and when I heard this one, it gave me hope that more were coming!

And, just for fun, here is Homer!
Homer's Saxomophone


1 comment:

  1. I found this informative and interesting blog, so I think so it’s very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me. I really thought that blog is spreading its wings rapidly...
    Jay Weinstein Seattle

    ReplyDelete

North End MC

My photo
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Representin the North End of Winnipeg since 1987. I will share my journey tryna set an example and live a proud Cree life. I'll include my challenges and feelings and progress in terms of AYO! Aboriginal Youth Opportunities. You(th) are the reason.

Tetris